- Ph.D. The Anderson School, University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), 2002
- MBA, The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania (UPenn), 1995
- B.S., Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST), 1989
- Associate Professor, Seoul National University, 2011-present.
- Assistant Professor, Seoul National University, 2005-2011.
- Assistant Professor, California State University, Fullerton, 2002-2005.
- Advertising Account Executive, Cheil Worldwide Inc.(제일기획), 1990-1993.
- Strategic Management
- Technology & Innovation Management
- Green Technology & Management
- Entrepreneurship & High-tech Industries
- Service Management & Strategy
- Cultural Management
- Corporate Venture Capital
- with Sunny Hahn, ‘Complementary or Conflictory?: The Effects of Composition of the Syndicate on Venture Capital-backed IPOs in the U.S. Stock Market’, Economia e Politiaca Industriale (Special Issue), forthcoming.
- with John Seokhyun Han and Gil S. Jo, ‘Is High Quality Knowledge Always Beneficial? Knowledge Overlap and Innovation Performance in Technological M&As’, Journal of Management and Organization, forthcoming.
- with Klaus Marhold and Marco Kim, ‘The Effects of Internal Technological Diversity and External Uncertainty on Technological Alliance Portfolio Diversity’, Industry and Innovation, forthcoming.
- with Klaus Marhold, Marco Kim, ‘The Effects of Alliance Portfolio Diversity on Innovation Performance: A Study of Partner and Alliance Characteristics in the Bio-Pharmaceutical Industry’, International Journal of Innovation Management, forthcoming.
- with Bangsil Esther Lee, ‘Power of Peripheral Innovations - A Case Study of Amorepacific's Cushion’, Research Technology Management, 59(4), pp. 21-29, 2016 (Lead article). http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/08956308.2016.1185340
- with Chul Lee and Gunno Park, ‘The Impact of Convergence between Science and Technology on Innovation’, Journal of Technology Transfer, 41(4), pp. 508-530, 2016.. http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10961-016-9480-9
- with Gil S. Jo and Gunno Park, ‘Unraveling the Link between Technological M&A and Innovation Performance Using the Concept of Relative Absorptive Capacity’, Asian Journal of Technology Innovation, 24(1), pp. 55-76, 2016. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/19761597.2015.1128340
- with Seunghwan Song and Marco Kim, ‘The Effects of Ambidextrous Alliances on Product Innovation’ Journal of Global Scholars of Marketing Science, 26(1), pp. 4-18, 2016 (Lead article, An earlier version received Korean Scholars of Marketing Science Doctoral Colloquium ‘Premier’ Award). http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/21639159.2015.1116780
- with Simon U. Lee, ‘Technological Diversification through Corporate Venture Capital Investments: Creating Various Options to Strengthen Dynamic Capabilities’, Industry and Innovation, 22(5), pp. 349-374, 2015 (Lead article). http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/13662716.2015.1054128
- with Marco Kim and Gunno Park, ‘Two-sided Effects of Embeddedness in Alliance Portfolios’, International Journal of Innovation Management, 19(4), 2015. http://www.worldscientific.com/doi/abs/10.1142/S1363919615500413
- with Ki H. Kang and Gil S. Jo, ‘External Technology Acquisition: A Double-edged Sword’, Asian Journal of Technology Innovation, 23(1), pp.35-52, 2015 (AJTI’s Most Read Article of All Time & an earlier version received the International Associations for Management of Technology (IAMOT) Best Student Paper Award). http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/19761597.2015.1010265
- with Gunno Park and Marco Kim, ‘Competitive Embeddedness: The Impact of Competitive Relations among a Firm’s Current Alliance Partners on its New Alliance Formations’, International Business Review, 24(2), pp.196-208, 2015. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0969593114001140
- with Ki H. Kang, ‘Do External Knowledge Sourcing Modes Matter for Service Innovation? Empirical Evidence from South Korean Service Firms’, Journal of Product Innovation Management, 31(1), pp.176-191, 2014. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jpim.12087/full
- with Gunno Park, ‘Alliance Addiction: Do Alliance Create Real Benefits?’, Creativity and Innovation Management, 22(1), pp.53-66, 2013
(Selected CIM’s 2013 Tudor Rickards and Susan Moger Best Paper Award runner-up paper). http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/caim.12016/full
- with Gunno Park, ‘Entry Conditions, Firm Strategies and Their Relationships to the Innovation Performance of an Emerging Green Industry: The Case of the Solar Cell Industry’, Asian Journal of Technology Innovation, 18(2), pp.21-42, 2010
(AJTI’s Most Read Article of All Time / Most Cited Article of All time & An earlier version received Korean Academy of Marketing Science Best Conference Paper Award). http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/19761597.2010.9668691
- with Ki H. Kang, ‘Does Partner Type Matter in R&D Collaboration for Product Innovation?’, Technology Analysis & Strategic Management, 22(8), pp.945-959, 2010. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/09537325.2010.520473
- With Mooweon Rhee and Ki H. Kang, ‘Revisiting Knowledge Transfer: Effects of Knowledge Characteristics on Organizational Effort for Knowledge Transfer’, Expert Systems with Applications, 37(12), pp.8155-8160, 2010. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0957417410004835
- with Allan Afuah, ‘Profiting from Innovations: The Role of New Game Strategies in the Case of Lipitor of the US Pharmaceutical Industry’, R&D Management, 40(2), pp.124-137, 2010. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1467-9310.2010.00597.x/full
- with Gunno Park, ‘The Effects of Teacher Firms’ Characteristics and Student Firms’ Absorptive Capacity on Firm Performance in Technology Alliances’, International Journal of Innovation Management, 13(3), pp.393-409, 2009. http://www.worldscientific.com/doi/abs/10.1142/S1363919609002352
- with Ki H. Kang, ‘How Do Firms Source External Knowledge for Innovation? Analysing Effects of Different Knowledge Sourcing Methods’, International Journal of Innovation Management, 13(1), pp.1-17, 2009. http://www.worldscientific.com/doi/abs/10.1142/S1363919609002194
- with Marvin Lieberman, ‘How to Measure Company Productivity Using Value-Added: A Focus on Pohang Steel (POSCO)’, Asia Pacific Journal of Management, 25(2), pp.209-224, 2008. http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10490-007-9081-0
- 'Testing Impact of Knowledge Characteristics and Relationship Ties on Project Performance’, Journal of Knowledge Management, 11(3), pp.126-144, 2007. http://www.emeraldinsight.com/doi/abs/10.1108/13673270710752153
- with 김이창, 이상욱, ‘하이테크 기업의 원활한 지식 이전을 위한 제휴네트워크 구조 및 파트너 기업 특성’, 연세경영연구, forthcoming.
- with 윤석준, 조길수, ‘제휴 포트폴리오가 기업성과에 미치는 영향에 대한 연구: 자원과 교섭력의 상호작용 관점에서’, 국제경영연구, 26(2), pp.63-97, 2015. http://db.koreascholar.com/article?code=299418
- with 강기현, 최승철, ‘기업의 제휴 집약도와 지식기반이 혁신성과에 미치는 영향’, 전략경영연구, 18(1), pp.31-55, 2015. http://www.dbpia.co.kr/Journal/ArticleDetail/NODE06290906
- with 조슬아, 강기현, ‘교수의 연구역량과 연구비 수혜가 대학스핀오프 기업 형성 속도에 미치는 영향’, 기술혁신연구, 19(2), pp.99-128, 2011
(기술혁신연구誌 우수논문상 수상). http://db.koreascholar.com/article?code=44254
- with 조승우, 양희동, 이주성, ‘MS/MBA 복수학위과정의 해외 운영 현황 및 국내 도입 가능성에 대한 연구’, 경영교육연구, 12(1), pp.161-179, 2008. http://www.dbpia.co.kr/Journal/ArticleDetail/NODE06080297
- 'Privatization: A Transitional Analysis using Property Rights Theory and Political Market Theory’, 경영학연구, 33(6), pp.1689-1709, 2004. http://www.dbpia.co.kr/Journal/ArticleDetail/NODE06079430
Academic Honors, Grants, and Awards
- Doctoral Dissertation Competition ‘Premier’ Award (for Klaus Marhold, Ph.D. candidate), Korean Scholars of Marketing Science Fall International Conference, November 2015.
- Best Student Paper Award (for Gil S. Jo, Ph.D. candidate), Asia Association of Learning, Innovation, and Co-evolution Studies International Conference, September 2014.
- The 2013 Tudor Rickards and Susan Moger Best Paper Award Runner-up Paper, ‘Alliance Addiction: Do Alliances Create Real Benefits?’ Creativity and Innovation Management, 22(1), pp.53-66, 2013.
- Doctoral Colloquium ‘Premier’ Award (for Marco Jinhwan Kim, Ph.D. candidate), Korean Scholars of Marketing Science Fall International Conference, November 2013.
- 대통령표창, 녹색성장정책 추진 유공 (제 189038호), February 2013.
- 우수논문상 (조슬아, 강기현 공저), 기술혁신연구, February 2013.Best Conference Paper Award (with Klaus Marhold, Ph.D. candidate), Korean Scholars of Marketing Science Fall International Conference, December 2012.
- Best Student Paper Award (for Ki Kang, Ph.D. candidate), The 20th International Conference on Management of Technology, International Associations for Management of Technology, April 2011.
- Best Conference Paper Award (with Gunno Park, Ph.D. candidate), Korean Scholars of Marketing Science Spring International Conference, May 2010.
- New Faculty Grant, Seoul National University, 2008.
- New Faculty Professional Development Grant, the Dean’s Faculty Research Fund, California State University, Fullerton, 2003.
- Full Scholarship, The Anderson School, UCLA, 1995-2002.
- National Honor Society, 1984.